Information and Library Service
The Centre for Policy on Ageing is a dedicated provider of information and resources on the multidisciplinary subject of ageing and older age. It is currently the only organisation in the UK systematically collating information on ageing.
The CPA Information Service gathers, summarises and disseminates information on ageing issues from a wide range of UK and international sources. The Centre’s aim is to ensure that good quality and relevant knowledge is widely accessible to inform research, policy and practice on ageing and older age for the benefit of older people. Reliable information is essential to underpin more effective ways of working, making the most of funds to support an ageing population.
The Reference Library at CPA holds a unique international collection comprising over 50,000 items – books, policy reports, government publications, official statistics, journals and ‘grey’ literature, covering the social, behavioural, health, and to a lesser extent the medical aspects of older age. It offers the most extensive range of materials on older age matters in the UK. Over 125 periodical titles are received annually. Information experts are on hand to signpost researchers to the best information available about specific topics.
CPA Information Service delivers a variety of valuable services to facilitate learning and best practice:
- AgeInfo is a key information resource on ageing and older age that provides three searchable databases: bibliographic, organisations and calendar of events. All material on the AgeInfo bibliographic database can be accessed at the CPA library. In addition, the CPA/AgeInfo website provides access to external information resources and links to organisations with a focus on ageing issues.
- NDAR – the National Database of Ageing Research – covering all aspects of recent and ongoing UK research with links to the researching organisation.
- The Single Assessment Process/Common Assessment Framework for Adults learning and development resource holding many downloadable documents.
- Interactive Glossary of Health, Social Care and Information Technology (including Long Term Conditions) with links to useful websites and fact sheets.
- Policies on Ageing online resource provides an easy way in to the national policy documents, government initiatives, reports and briefings focused on ageing and older age.
- Selected reading lists and literature reviews compiled by CPA staff can be downloaded from the Centre’s website. The reading lists are regularly updated and new topics added.
- Briefings to share learning from CPA’s research and analysis.
- New Literature on Old Age, a digest of what’s new with abstracts, published in printed form six times a year, available on annual subscription from the Centre. Back issues of New Literature on Old Age can be downloaded from the Newlit back issues page.
- A postal, telephone and email inquiry service, to include information retrieval and customised document lists.
- Expert support to construct an evidence base for research proposals and projects.
Contact details and opening hours
CPA Information and Library Service is open from Monday to Friday 10-5 for telephone inquiries and to visit the Reference Library.
Send email inquiries to email@example.com
To make an appointment to use the library, please telephone the Centre on +44 (0)207 553 6500. Download directions to the Centre here.
Facilities for visitors include access to AgeInfo and the Internet, and you are welcome to use your laptop. The library stock is retrieved by our information staff, but you can make photocopies (10p per sheet as are any other print-outs) within that permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988; rates for supply of photocopies by post on request.